Saturday 19 July 2008

3 days to go!

I can't remember what made me think of it, but 3 months ago I decided to look up pole dancing. I found there was a dance studio near me, the fabulous Pole-da-cise in Trowbridge. 3 months later, I've had 11 lessons and I am addicted! So much so that I've ordered my own X-Pole for home. As you may have guessed, it arrives in 3 days. Very exciting!

I'm really chuffed to have found a really good form of exercise that is fun and enjoyable. I've never really been one for going to the gym, it's always felt like a chore, but this is brilliant! Pole dancing is far more than erotic dancing in clubs. It's a great fun way to keep fit, feel good about yourself and build your confidence. This is the first thing in many many years that I've felt passionate about, and absorbed enough to actually keep a blog about. Hopefully this will give me something to look back on to see how far I've come, and I'd be delighted if it inspires you to take up pole or any other form of exercise or activity that you feel good about.

As this blog is to chart my progress, I'll briefly note where I'm up to. Today I booked some time in the studio and managed at last to sit on the pole and do split-legs, which is an achievement. I'm still working on street spins (getting there) and copters are going badly but I'm making a little progress. I also tried a spin I've seen on YouTube - I really should learn the names of them all. It's the one with 2 hands on the pole, facing the pole, and split legs either side. The upper body and abdominal strength needed for this move is incredible! I can't get my legs very high nor sustain the spin for long, but it's nice to have new things to work on and aim for.

I'm searching my local freecycle for old cushions etc to use as a crash-mat at home. The Trixmats are wonderful but at £70 I fancy something a bit DIY, given that I've only just forked out on the pole itself. Will have to see how that pans out! At this stage, I'd be silly to try inverted moves without a mat - I've already been grateful for the mats at the studio and would be really bruised without them. I should say more bruised - pole dancing and leg bruises are good friends!

No comments: